Whether you are a professional or just someone who by a chance needs to edit a PDF, typing on your PDF can be tricky. Especially on Apple devices. We'll walk through the steps of how to type on a PDF on Mac with explanations. You might ask, does anybody need this? Yes, as editing as well as adding new text and typing on a PDF can be very useful for many reasons. For one, you can add notes to the document without creating a new file or making significant changes to the original. It is also a straightforward way to complete forms that may contain sensitive information without having to print and re-scan them into a digital format. This article will make the task easy for you.
1. How to edit a PDF on Mac online
We highly recommend an online PDF editor if you are looking for an efficient way to insert text on a PDF on your Mac.
Follow the simple guide below if it's your way:
- Open the PDF editor in your browser and upload the document.
- Select the "Text tool" from the left menu and write on your PDF. Click anywhere on the page to add new text to PDF. Make the text bold or italic, change its color and size.
- Click the "Export button" to save and apply all the changes.
Overall, using an online tool is a great way to type on a PDF on Mac or on any other OS quickly and easily. Thanks to it you will be able not only to create a new text on a PDF file but also to edit the existing one.Try it and see how it can help simplify your day-to-day workflows!
Utilizing an online PDF editor has many benefits over the built-in MacOS software:
- First, you can access your files from anywhere in the world with an internet connection;
- Secondly, it's much easier to share documents with others. You can simply copy a link and your colleagues will be able to download a file within a week;
- Thirdly, browser PDF editors are cloud-based. They are much more secure than offline programs. Our editor works in collaboration with Google Drive and DropBox;
- Lastly, the service provides a lot of additional features, like password protecting, compressing, and others.
2. How to type on a PDF on MAC with Preview
You can use the built-in Preview program to add text to a PDF on Mac. Not only is it free and already installed on your MacOS device, but also offers a range of powerful features. Check out how:
- Open the PDF in Preview.
- Click on the "Text" icon in the top toolbar.
- Select the PDF area where you wish to add text.
- When done, click "File" and "Save" to submit your changes.
Applying Preview makes it easy to type on a PDF on Mac without purchasing any additional software. Plus, with its intuitive user interface, Preview is perfect for beginners and experienced users. You can also highlight PDF using this built-in PDF editor for macOS.
3. How to add text to a PDF on Mac with LibreOffice
If you need to type on a PDF on Mac, then LibreOffice is one of the possible solutions for you. This powerful open-source application contains many features for creating, sharing, and editing PDF documents. Plus, it's free to use.
The best part about using this program is its ease of use. You don't need any prior computer skills to get started. Here's how to write on a PDF on MacOS with LibreOffice:
- Download and install LibreOffice from their website.
- Open your PDF document in LibreOffice.
- Click the "Edit" button to open the text editor.
- Add text directly to PDF or copy and paste existing text from another source.
- After editing, click the "Save" button to save your changes.
Preferring LibreOffice for typing on a PDF on Mac has several advantages over other programs. It is free, easy to use, and has a wide range of features like spell-check and document formatting options. That makes working with documents more effortless than ever before.
Why can't I type on a PDF on Mac?
You followed the instructions exactly, but you still cannot add text to your PDF? Sometimes this happens. Let's have a look at possible causes and methods to solve them. You will most likely be able to get the text you want into the PDF by following this guide.
- Your PDF document is secured with a password. If your PDF document was protected with an open password or permissions password, you won't be able to type in it.
- The layout of the PDF page is not "Text". If you select "Picture" from the menu in the toolbar, you won’t be allowed to write on a PDF on Mac.
- The PDF file has been locked for annotation or changes. By default, some PDF files are locked for editing or annotation.
- Remove Password from your PDF in case you forgot it.
- Switch the PDF editor's option to "Text" so that you can type directly in the PDF on Mac.
- Use an alternative program to get rid of restrictions.
How to type on a PDF on Mac - Summary
Learning how to insert text on a PDF on Mac is a relatively easy task. With the three different ways described in this article, you should now better understand how to write on PDF. Whether you're using the online PDF editor, Preview software, or cross-device app, you can easily add text to your PDFs. With these programs and tips, you can create professional-looking PDF documents.
Do not forget to try other PDF tools on Mac: